What Is Your ‘Third Eye’?
The Third Eye is located in your pineal gland, which ancient philosophers believed was the seat of the soul. It is the Third Eye that allows us to us our intuition and make sense of our own potential.
Any time that you have a gut feeling, you’re drawing from the perception of your third eye. For example, just think about the times when you simply knew you should go or avoid a particular place, go a different way home, cancel something even though you couldn’t justify this choice with any kind of logic….that’s your Third Eye working with you …your intuition. In addition to helping you read your environment and access your intuition, it can help you tune into particular vibrations in other people. This means that strengthening your use of the Third Eye not only enhances your perception but also assists you in connecting with people whose energy fits with yours.
How To Know If Your Third Eye Is Open
Many people mistakenly think that they need to work on causing a Third Eye awakening when in fact it is already open. This is largely because fear and uncertainty can prompt us to ignore what we take in with the Third Eye; we are often raised to discount our “hunches”.
So, how do you know if your own Third Eye is open? The easiest way to answer this question is to pay attention to whether you have gut feelings, even one that you suppress. The more seemingly baseless intuitions you have, the more likely it is that your third eye is currently open, whether you want it to be or not.
In addition to causing strong gut feelings, having an open Third Rye can induce a wide range of other experiences.
In particular, look out for the following Third Eye opening side effects:
- A light feeling of pressure between your eyebrows. This could be similar to the sensation of someone gently pressing a finger to the skin in that area. This needn’t happen when you’re feeling particularly spiritual, but it is often a reminder that the spiritual dimension of life is currently relevant.
- Starting to picture things in your mind (or even starting to dream about particular things) before they happen.
- A sense that colours are brighter and that your environment is sharper. An open third eye allows you to take in light and details that you would otherwise miss, and this can be intense or overwhelming at first.
- Feeling like you are changing on a fundamental level, even if you struggle to put it into words. It’s common for the third eye to open because of transformative experiences, or to occur just before a period of great growth.
- More frequent tension headaches (i.e., headaches that feel like pressure on your temples or like a band around your head). This is sometimes explained as being a result of your mind working harder than usual.
What Causes Third Eye Chakra Blockages Or Imbalances?
It’s important to be aware that you may struggle to open your third eye. Imbalances can develop in the location of the Third Eye Chakra which can prevent you accessing the full power of your intuition. Common causes of this sort of imbalance include exhaustion, high levels of consistent stress, and repeated emotional conflict in your life.
Remember, something to be aware of….your Third Eye can be underactive or overactive. If it is underactive, you may struggle to concentrate, feel anxious, find it difficult to self-reflect, and feel somehow disconnected from the people around you.
Meanwhile, if you’re dealing with an overactive Third Eye, you may be over-analyse things, feel mentally “fogged up”, and repeatedly escape into daydreams rather than engaging with real life.
When this chakra is in balance, you should be able to “see” clearly and follow your intuition, while having a sense of your higher purpose.
You may feel more connected to others and their energies, as well as the spirit realm.
When you have a Third Eye Chakra blockage or imbalance, you may experience some symptoms that interfere with the areas mentioned above.
These symptoms can vary based on whether you have an underactive or overactive imbalance of the third eye.
How to balance Your Third Eye
The following techniques are especially effective in balancing and keeping your Third Eye healthy:
- Practice meditation on a daily basis. This can be a simple 10-minute exercise during which you focus on your breathing or scan your body for sensations. Or, it can be a more complex meditative journey if you’re already experienced.
- Put lavender or neroli essential oils on the pulse points of your wrists, or light scented candles that include these oils.
- Ensure you get approximately eight hours of sleep per night (not always possible for many of us) Practice good sleep routine! For example, remove mobile phones from your bedroom and do something relaxing for at least an hour before bed, listen to reiki music. Diffuse natural pure essential oils in the room….start the diffuser off at least an hour before you go to bed so the room.
- Eat foods to nourish the third eye (including red onion, blueberries, blackberries, eggplant, red grapes, and raspberries). In general, any red and purple foods are said to be connected to a balanced Third Eye
- Third eye affirmations are an amazing tool to incorporate into your daily routine to open up and balance this area. Try and recite daily affirmations that relate to the Third Eye, such as:
- I acknowledge the wisdom that comes from within me,
- I am open to the inner guidance of my third eye,
- I am wise, intuitive, and connected to my inner guidance.
- I trust my intuition, always.
- I seek to understand and learn from my life experiences.
- I am connected to my higher power.
- I am connected to the wisdom of the Universe.
- Every situation is an opportunity for growth
- I am able to see and act in alignment with my divine purpose
- I open myself to new energy and experience
- I am a present observer in my life
- Seeing and understanding the big picture comes naturally to me
- My life moves effortlessly towards my purpose
- My imagination is vivid and powerful
- I nurture my spirit and am in tune with its needs
- I am the source of my truth
- I live in alignment with my authentic self
- I trust that my highest good is unfolding
- I choose to tap into my inner wisdom
- My inner wisdom guides me to my highest good
- My third eye sees all
- I radiate indigo-blue light from my third eye chakra
The Third Eye is the Chakra most associated with meditation practice, and it’s clear why. When your mind is clear, insights reveal themselves more readily. Meditation is where we ‘reorganise’ our mind and spiritual self ….a space where we can go beyond our reality and find greater meaning. Meditation really is the path to a healthy Third Eye Chakra, and a healthy mind.
Pay attention to your dreams. What does your subconscious seem preoccupied with? When we dream, our brains are ‘filing away’ our thoughts and experiences. But it does this in abstract ways, and not in order. What keeps popping up?…. What folder keeps falling out onto the floor? ….Is it labelled?….. A specific person or memory?….. A place that causes anxiety?
The Third Eye Chakra is about untangling our perceptions and accepting the multiple truths of multiple perspectives. This is especially relevant when dealing with people whose spiritual ideas differ from yours. We believe the meaning of the Third Eye is essentially acceptance of multiple truths – whether these are spiritual, idealistic, or personal.