Reiki is in itself a powerful form of healing but combining it with other forms of energy healing and modalities can enhance the experience both for Reiki Practitioner and Client. One of these modalities is aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy or essential oil therapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts medicinally to improve the health of the body, mind, and spirit. Even though aromatherapy has been used for thousands of years in ancient cultures around the world, it has only recently begun to gain more and more recognition in the fields of science and medicine and people are starting to integrate it into their daily lives.
You can use essential oils for almost anything from anxiety and insomnia to prevent and fight aggressive deadly illnesses like cancer. If you want to raise your vibrational frequency in a second, essential oils are also a great match! Rose, Helichrysum, Frankincense, Lavender, and Myrrh are just some of the highest vibrational essential oils you can use on a daily basis to attain good health and abundant spirit.
There are many essential oils that can be used in during Reiki but I have just picked seven of them:
1. Lavender – Chronic stress has been associated with increased reports of illness so an essential oil to promote calm, tranquility, relaxation, and soothing the soul for spiritual work is a must in any Reiki healing space! Its ability to quiet a busy mind makes it the most popular essential oils.
2. Frankincense – This is one my favourite oils and I use it for everything. It carries an incredibly spiritual vibration and in Biblical times it was considered to be more valuable than gold. It’s not cheap at all, and you need to be very careful where you purchase it from (in fact as a general rule you are looking at over £50 for a 15ml bottle to know you are getting good Frankincense from trees that haven’t been “poached”!!) So in healing sessions, this oil is usually used for those clients who need powerful healing to improve their physical health due to aggressive illnesses. Works miracles! It is known as the “Oil of Kings” as some was found in Kutankhamun’s tomb.
3. Vetiver – Commonly called the “Oil of Patience” owing to its thicker resin consistency it takes age for a drop to come out of the bottle!! During a Reiki session it can be used to ground and bridge the gap between the physical body and Spirit, being able to speed up manifestation and healing into the physical realm. Vetiver oil centres one into its true self and is definitely a source of vital energy and regeneration.
4. Rose – It vibrates at a very high spiritual frequency, 320 Mhz, and enhances spiritual insight and transformation, bringing harmony to the body, mind, emotions, and spirit. Rose oil aids in aligning the subtle and physical bodies, opens the heart, and connects you to the energy of pure love. And also smells amazing!
5. Peppermint – This oil goes for cleansing and purification, stimulating the senses and clearing out any impurities and negative vibrations. Peppermint will enhance awareness and clarity, stimulating lucid dreaming and being able to receive with ease and presence any divine guidance.
6. Helichrysum – Also known as Immortelle, this essential oil will make self-exposure safe and that fear of remembering painful emotions will be transcended. Use Helichrysum to work through difficult emotions, trauma, or issues that are buried deep into the subconscious.
7. Lemon – It is energetically luminous and acts like a cleanser on all levels – physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. Lemon oil enhances clarity and cleanses any negativity. Reiki Practitioners can effectively use it to cleanse and purify their healing room between sessions.
Blends can also be made out of essential oils in case you need something specific for an illness or energetic blockage/imbalance. As an example, there are blends for abundance, acceptance, clarity, energy, immunity, boosting your intuition or even releasing and healing a deep trauma.
For inspiration, here are few ways to incorporate the essential oils into your Reiki practice but it is always good to follow your own inner guidance:
Diffuse essential oil during healing sessions (even distance healing …a good idea is for both Practitioner and Client to diffuse the same essential oils)
Topical application of essential oil drops in strategic points – chakra system the areas in need for healing, or simply following your intuition and divine guidance.
** Please make sure to check how to apply essential oils topically and safely diluting!
You can add essential oil drop before performing hands-on or distant Reiki treatment
Breathing exercises: inhale/exhale the essential oil
Reiki infused bath in which you add essential oil drops
You can buy or make up your own aromatic sprays